From: Susan Young <glenn218@xxxxxxxxx>
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC]   What if your horse hates to condition?
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 09:19:57 -0700 (PDT)

I've got to disagree here. If you want to trot and canter the majority of a ride, you'd better condition that way as well. If you walk 5 miles at home and your horse recovers to resting within a few seconds, you can't expect that after trotting 25 miles at a ride. CRI is an excellent indicator of how well the horse is recovering THAT DAY. A little common sense says that you've got to condition the gaits you'll use on a ride as well.

Aerobic conditioning requires the heart rate to raise to a certain point, say 75%, and stay there for a period of time, say an hour. By conditioning aerobically several days a week, you are then preparing your horse to safely do an endurance ride. To ask him to do something different from conditioning rides to endurance rides isn't fair.

I dont think you NEED to condition the same way you ride a ride. In fact, I dont think you would want to. You should be able to tell how well conditioned he is by taking his p&r. The point being that you need to work him hard enough to get his heart rate up and know how long he takes to come down.

Susan [Young], The Wicked Princess of Pink Semper Obliquo (Always aside)

Glenndale Grace Farm, Ft Gibson, Oklahoma U.S.A.

"Ride on! Rough-shod if need be, smooth-shod if that will do, but ride on! Ride on over all obstacles, and win the race!" - Charles Dickens (1812-1870)

Far back, far back in our dark soul the horse prances... The horse, the
horse! The symbol of surging potency and power of movement, of action... ~ DH Lawrence