Re: [RC] Chattahoochee National Forest now CARA - RDCARRIE

In a message dated 4/21/2004 7:31:15 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
rose_m_j@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Dawn - Have you heard of  The new CARA bill, called the Get Out (GO) Act (HR
4100), is virtually identical to the old CARA bill?   This not only effects
public land but private land
use as well.

 Yep, sure have.  Those interested in recreation opportunities should support
CARA.  Don't believe all the nutso extremist hype about it being a "land grab"
etc.  CARA provides additional funds for acquiring private lands for addition
to Nat. Forests, wildlife refuges, etc. FROM WILLING SELLERS.  Some of these
types of funds are already available, but CARA would make more available.
Think about the potential - Nat. Forests, etc. could buy pieces of private land
(if the owner was willing to sell) to connect sections of trails on public
land, etc.  CARA also would provide funds for renovation of public
(local/state/federal) recreational facilities, among other benefits.  Oh, and
it's not called the "Get Out" act...it's called the "Get Outdoors" Act - the
bill's intent is to promote various forms of outdoor recreation.  Check out
this site for a quick summary of what the bill includes:
http://www.nrpa.org/story.cfm?story_id=1933&departmentid=6&publicationID=11

There are a lot of websites that talk about it, but this one has a concise
summary of the various provisions.  You can also find some pretty "interesting"
inflammatory sites that are convinced that this bill will end modern life as we
know it.  <G>  Since land purchases would be from willing sellers, I'm not sure
how this bill could do all of the heinous things attributed to it, but there
are always those "types" out there.

Dawn in East Texas

Arabians were bred for years primarily as a war horse and those
requirements are similar to what we do today with endurance riding.
~  Homer Saferwiffle