RE: [RC] Mystery Lameness - Update - kstandefer

If the ringbone is just now forming (and in your previous post you indicated
that your vet saw some activity on the pastern bones) that could be one reason
for your horse's pain.  If ringbone is forming, the process is painful.  The
tendons and ligaments in the area are likely to become inflamed as well which
would account for the swelling you're seeing so quickly.

That right hoof is very imbalanced and has been so for a long time.  This is
likely the cause of any changes in the boney column.  Along with causing the
bone to wear unevenly (which could cause arthritis - ringbone), it also puts
added stress on the ligaments that hold the joints together.  In addition, the
tendons in the area are also either more lax or more taught (depending on which
tendon you're observing) which can also cause rubbing on the bones as well as
muscle pain further up the leg.

Combine all of this with the added stress of the long toes on that hoof and you
have a recipe for a lot of discomfort as well as added wear and tear on the
tendons/ligaments as well as lateral cartilages.  When tendons, ligaments and
cartilages come under stress the body responds by sending a protective,
strengthing agent to the site called proteoglycan.  Over a long period of time
of prolonged stress, proteoglycans will cause occification of the soft tissue.
Dr. Bowker has done some interesting histology work in this area that he
reported on to the AAEP last fall.

Marv's suggestion to look at the rear diagonal (Left rear) is a good one.  But,
in your horse's case I don't think that is the cause of the pain.  However, you
will find similar issues in the rear that also need to be fixed.  The hind
diagonal is nearly always a mirror to the front.

I think with correct trimming/shoeing and some time off your horse has a good
chance of continuing work.  But, the issues in that foot are in dire need of
some agressive balancing efforts to get him more comfortable.

Karen

Referenced Post:
X-rays tasken three weeks ago showed no real indication of ringbone, so we are
now going to wait a month and x-ray again and see if boney changes are present
at that time.

I am, to say the least, devastated.  Ringbone is a horrible diagnosis. I'm
hoping it's not what we're dealing with, but I don't know what else it could
be.  What else could cause a bulge above the hairline like that?  And why would
it get so much bigger in a week?  That seems odd...I would think even ringbone
would advance more slowly than that.

One of the great joys of being a pompous idiot is that you can do and think
whatever you want.
~  Homer Safferwiffle