Re: [RC] men and centered riding - Ed & Wendy Hauser

Learning of physical skills requires that the method and instructor be in tune with how the instructee thinks.  My two boys are examples of the two poles in this.

My older boy, who went on to be a very successful soldier in the US Army, needed to have everything broken down into a series of verbal steps.  In other words he learned "by the numbers".  This is the usual method used in our country to teach sports.  As the student progresses the instructor verbalizes more detailed instructions about what is being done wrong.

My younger boy, who is now a commercial artist, needed to know the big picture and then be left to experiment until he got it.  He was most helped by visualization.  About the only verbal instruction that worked was to be told "that's right, remember how it feels"  Since that is how I learn physical skills, the only thing I had trouble teaching him was automobile driving.  It was not practical to let him crash cars until he got it.

Myself I am more like my younger boy, so I thought I was terminally clumsy during phy ed in school.  It sounds to me that the instructor may not be right for your husband.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875