[RC] men and centered riding - Marlene Moss

I have a question for men who have taken centered riding lessons (or women who have been around this situation.)

Do you think the imagery that Sally Swift and centered riding instructors use works for you?

My husband and I had our first centered riding lesson today.  I have read a Sally Swift book and so I knew about some of the methods and imagery involved.  I’m a fairly technical person, but that imagery really works for me.  My husband couldn’t quite get past it.  He wants everything broken down to a real movement and when and why.

I tried to explain that it is a heck of a lot easier and faster to say or think of some of the images than to really describe all the steps.  Also, I think it is natural that when you (or at least me, maybe as a woman?) start imagining these things that my head naturally looks up and I am able to take in more around me – it all just seems to really click.   He was wondering after the lesson if the imagery was something that just naturally worked better for women.

I don’t mind if he really doesn’t want to do the lessons, but I think he would gain a lot if he were able to get past thinking some of this is silly.  He’s got a new horse that spooks a lot (his batting average is .50 for going off) and I think that if the instructor is able to get him to lengthen his legs and flex in his ankles and some other things she noted, that he will be a lot more stable on this horse.

He could probably get this from another instructor, and maybe one more suited to his way of thinking, but we don’t have many options where we live and I was pretty amazed to find this lady.  And he’s not really into spending time in the arena, she’s willing to work with us wandering around our hills and trees and out on the trail too.

So any thoughts on whether it makes sense to push him to find a way to work this out mentally or some ideas I can use to help translate to his very technical mind?

Thanks!

Marlene

Marlene Moss

www.KineticEquineAnalysis