[RC] Mystery lameness - Update - Jennifer Thompson

Hi all,

Well, the vet was out again today - it's been 3 weeks since I first noticed Shahtahr's lameness.  We put him on the lunge line and he's still grade 2 lame in the right front.

1 1/2 weeks ago, my farrier noticed a very small hardened area right above the coronary band on the inside of the affected foot (right front).  He thought maybe he was landing heavier on the inside causing the area to bulge, so he rasped that side of the wall down more (which makes the hoof now look imbalanced side-to-side) in hopes of relieving the pressure there.

Well, the bulge has become significantly bigger over the last week. It's not sensitive to palpation at all and does not feel warm.  It's just there.

The vet is now thinking we may be dealing with early onset ringbone.  He did an intra-articular nerve block to the pastern joint and Shahtahr showed maybe a 50% improvement with it.  We were hoping for NO improvement, so as to rule out intra-articular high ringbone.  Well, he wasn't sound with the nerve block, but he was a little better.  Vet said he was down to about a grade 1 lameness with the nerve block.

X-rays tasken three weeks ago showed no real indication of ringbone, so we are now going to wait a month and x-ray again and see if boney changes are present at that time.

I am, to say the least, devastated.  Ringbone is a horrible diagnosis. I'm hoping it's not what we're dealing with, but I don't know what else it could be.  What else could cause a bulge above the hairline like that?  And why would it get so much bigger in a week?  That seems odd...I would think even ringbone would advance more slowly than that.

Well, that's it for now.  I'm a depressed, nervous wreck.  :(

Man, I WISH this was a stone bruise....we're kinda ruling that out now.

Jennifer