[RC] Chattahoochee National Forest - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Sharon King gatrail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jim...
You and I have gone rounds on this before, and I realize some folks just don't
seem to get it and I'm not going to even attempt to change your mind.
However, it is not just the Forest in the South; all National Forest in the
future will be going thru a new management plan, it just started in the south
(because their time frame was up on the old plan).  Again, this process has
been in the works for years (since the late 90's).  FS did seek input over this
period from interested parties.  I attended many of the meetings, the vast
majority of attendees were the environmentalist, "Forest Watch", and they were
on a first name bases with management.  So, who do you think offered the most
influence on decisions, the 2-3 equestrians, a couple of mountain bikers, a few
hikers tossed in and topped off with a homeowner or two who adjoin the forest,
or these men and women in suits hired by the environmentalist to get their
point across?
FS and other public agencies ARE working with various groups.  The groups who
are developing a conservational attitude; that you can have trails and protect
the environment when it?s done correctly, we are even educating them on some
new techniques developed for multi-use trails.
This is why Dr. Gene Wood from Clemson began the Southeastern Equestrian Trails
Conference "SETC" because he saw the direction that public land managers were
going and that equestrians needed to change their outlook on trails, learn what
the FS had to comply with etc. and to educate land managers on equestrians and
what they and their mounts need for trails. (For more info
www.southeasternequestriantrails.com)
The mission of SETC is to bring Equestrians and Land Managers together to
discuss the future of HORSES ON TRAILS.  Without this dialogue and a degree of
understanding between all parties? horses, mountain bikers etc. will continue
to be banished from public lands.
Your right numbers count and equestrians need to unite, but in the right way.
As an example the Liaison with public agencies for the Ga. Horse Council sent
out a request (yes, we do have an email network) that she had received from the
Ranger at Watson Mill State Park (site of a really nice horse camp but only 12
miles of trails).  A hundred acres adjacent to the park along the river had
become available and the owner was giving the park a month to purchase the
property prior to placing it on the market.  He requested that equestrians send
emails and letters to the Director of State Parks to let her know of the
community?s interest in developing more trails.  Well, to say the least we just
got a message that our voices have been heard and they are looking at
appropriating funds to purchase this property, that please send no more emails
or letters.
So yes, EQUESTRIANS UNITE but make it a constructive effort, get involved,
volunteer, get to know your rangers and land managers (they are not the enemy),
join with other equestrian organizations that are making a difference or start
one of your own.
The world is changing in more ways than we care to think about?you can be a
part of the solution or a part of the problem.
Jim, I know you?re bummed because you have property adjoining the Forest but
please look at the big picture and both sides of the coin.  Place yourself in
FS shoes for once and figure out how you would protect the resources with
renegade trails going from every home that borders the Forest and throughout.
Look at the growth of Atlanta and the increasing use, what would you do in
Kathleen?s shoes (FYI, she is not the one that made the final decision on the
Plan, the Region 8 Director approved it, now it is her job to comply with it).

ride my horses a lot more than most people
~  Karen Chaton