Re: [RC] Chattahoochee National Forest - RDCARRIE

In a message dated 4/20/2004 10:20:39 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
guest-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

This is where the problem arises,FS does not have the manpower or the funds
to maintain or develop trails without support from the recreational
community.

This is precisely where equestrians can help.  Work with the FS - volunteer to
suggest trail routes, flag them out, and GPS them for the FS to review.  First,
meet with them so that you understand their criteria, areas to avoid, etc.  For
example, I know that one of the major concerns on the Chat-O is aquatic
resources - specifically, some rare fish and mussel species that, without
proactive protection, *could* head down the road toward being listed as
threatened or endangered...and you DON'T want to have to deal with that ( and
believe me, neither does the FS).

You can't get around the fact that FS is GOVERNMENT and the paperwork,
policies and redtape are enough to drive the lay
person trying to work with them batty,

Only the lay person?  Heck, I work for the FS (as a wildlife biologist in
Texas), and the #$%@ paperwork, policies, and red tape drive ME (and many of my
co-workers) batty too!  <G>  Sometimes it pushes even us till we're one step
away from the funny farm.

Good luck,
Dawn in East Texas
...but then, I do ride my horses a lot more than most people
~  Karen Chaton