Re: [RC] [RC] Pasture with lots of alfalfa in it - Ed & Wendy Hauser

"...Garlon 4, also a
broadleaf herbicide, is quite effective when used on poison oak, thistles,
etc. that we wanted to control.  Garlon (in CA) requires a permit, but it is
not a highly restricted herbicide; one does not need to take the test in
order to secure an applicator's permit...."

I just read the Garlon 4 label.  It has some issues also i.e.. dairy cattle
off for 14 days, if used on the higher label doses you must not make hay
until the next year.  Also it is listed mostly for woody plants, not other
weeds.  The producer recommends it mostly to be spot applied to woody areas,
not over a whole field.

I also looked up the CA restricted list.  It appears that in CA almost
everything is restricted for Agricultural uses.  They want all applications
of anything that works to be by licensed operators if on crop. lands.  The
exceptions are small amounts and ready to use dilutions for home use.  This
makes sense to me at some level.  To properly apply pesticides you have to
be able to calibrate sprayers, and follow directions.  Many persons need
classes to be able to do that properly.

The moral here is:  1. Read and follow label directions. 2. Follow state
laws 3. follow federal laws. 4 Read the label directions again, follow them
carefully.  5. If spraying on your pasture calibrate your sprayer so you can
follow the label.  If that is confusing, take a pesticide class (like I just
did) and you will learn how to do it.  6. Protect yourself and animals by
reading and following the label directions for times between spraying and
grazing or haying.   8.  If you don't trust the EPA (the agency that writes
the rules for the labels),  don't use pesticides.  9. Read and follow label
directions carefully.

Ed

Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875

ranch@xxxxxxxxxxx
406.642.6490

Riding alone is when you teach a horse all the "tools" and "cues" he needs
to handle the trail, to hold a speed, deal with hills, etc. It's also where
you develop the "bond" that causes him to "defer" to you before losing his
cool.
~ Jim Holland