Re: [RC] Weight loss during a ride - heidi

What is considered an average weight loss for your horse during a ride?
Prior to the start of the Old Dominion 100 in 2000 we had the
opportunity to  weigh in. At the finish of the 100 my 940 lb. gelding
with many miles and  numerous 100's, had lost 44 lbs. and the 860 lb.
gelding, finishing his 1st  100, had lost 60 lbs.  Vet students were
monitoring the horses through the  ride by drawing blood samples at
every check. Both horses were metabolically  stable throughout but the
smaller horse with the greater weight loss  presented with levels
showing slightly more stress than the experienced  gelding. Totally
understandable.
What is an expectable weight loss?

Considering the amount of forage and water that SHOULD be in the hindgut
prior to the start of a ride, this isn't an out-of-line weight loss,
providing the horses DO have a good fill pre-ride.

But I agree--the smaller horse losing that much is getting on the edge of
concern.  Just curious--did they also weigh them again the next morning
after they had eaten well overnight and rehydrated?

The few times I've been in situations where the horses could be weighed
before, during, and after, my horse had lost no more than 40 lbs and have
recouped most of it by the next morning.  (I've only been able to have one
of my horses in weight studies--but he was in two of them.  Keep in mind
this is the horse who WILL consume 40 lbs of hay in the 24 hours
pre-ride.)

I remember the year that Aurber Lights won Tevis, there were weight
studies there (can't remember if that was Susan G's study or not)--he is a
small horse, and had lost 40 but had regained 20 after an opportunity to
refill.  I was a bit boggled by horses who lost 80 lbs though...

Heidi

I don't think you have to join a gym or buy frilly outfits to get some
fitness.  A decent set of shoes and a 15 minute dismount here and there
will help.
~  Jon K. Linderman, Ph.D., FACSM, Assistant Professor of Health and Sport
Science, University of Dayton