[RC] Weight loss during a ride - Amy Cieri

What is considered an average weight loss for your horse during a ride? Prior to the start of the Old Dominion 100 in 2000 we had the opportunity to weigh in. At the finish of the 100 my 940 lb. gelding with many miles and numerous 100's, had lost 44 lbs. and the 860 lb. gelding, finishing his 1st 100, had lost 60 lbs. Vet students were monitoring the horses through the ride by drawing blood samples at every check. Both horses were metabolically stable throughout but the smaller horse with the greater weight loss presented with levels showing slightly more stress than the experienced gelding. Totally understandable.
What is an expectable weight loss?

MSN Toolbar provides one-click access to Hotmail from any Web page ? FREE download! http://toolbar.msn.com/go/onm00200413ave/direct/01/

If you treat an Arab like a Thoroughbred, it will behave like a Quarter
horse. ~ Libby Llop