Re: [RC] Forced to go without shoes - 101334.2754@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

This is a very common problem especially in short backed arabs with big trots.

Shorter heels on the shoes might help as the front shoes will be harder to
catch that way , although this does
reduce support to the foot which can be a problem in long term endurance
my husband (farrier, aren't I lucky!!!) also has had succes with grinding down
the edges of the front shoes to help
the hindshoe 'slide' off it in case it does catch the front shoe. Other
solutions to try are making sure the hindfeet
are very well pared down in front, slightly setting back the shoes so that the
when your horse does touch front foot with
hind, the foot touches before the shoe does. Bringing up the toe of the hind
feet slightly can help, or alternatively
ask your farrier if he can use slightly heavier shoes in the back (with a good
amount of heel) - this alone is sometimes
enough to gain those few milimetres/seconds necessary to stop your horse
yanking off his front shoes... combine this with
light front shoes which will just slightly shorten the time lag before the
horse picks up his front feet which means that
they will be gone by the time the hindfoot moves over. If he overreaches in
line with the front legs, slightly changing
the balance of hind shoes can help him to track wider and thus avoid the front
feet...

Bellboots can be a short term solution too.

there are loads of potential solutions out there...

good luck - and keep us posted on your progress!
-------------Message réacheminé-----------------

Exp.:   "Barbara McCrary", INTERNET:bigcreekranch@xxxxxxxxxx