[RC] Ready for a good chuckle???? - Chris Paus

In light of the seriousness of discussions lately,
I'll poke some fun at myself and you all can laugh
with me...

Background, I've been breeding nice Arabian and anglo
Arabians for a few years. I like the WitezII
bloodline, but it's getting harder to find good
stallions. Last year, I got the bright idea to get my
own stallion. At least I was smart enough to get a
been-there-done-that kind of guy, Corary Szybki. He's
a looker, great personality, and really nice race
track record, 21 years old. He was languishing at a
big farm, not being used, getting thin and run down
and forgotten about. He looks like a new and younger
horse now after dental work and good groceries...

Anyway, get a mental picture of this event:

A fat, middle aged lady, a tall, handsome young
veterinarian, an aging, but still handsome bay Arabian
stallion, a bay mare in heat, a nervous blonde vet
assistant and a breeding dummy...

Yup. that was my day on Tuesday....

Took Szybki to the vet for a "collection." We have a
mare coming in for AI soon and we wanted to do a test
run to teach Szybki the process and to test his
semen..

Well, I'm clueless about this...good thing the vet
knows what he's doing, LOL...

First, vet assistant holds mare (my own  mare Ali) in
front of breeding dummy. I walk Szybki nearby so he
can get excited... we hustle him back inside and the
vet washes Szybki's privates.. Take him back to the
mare. He gets excited again...

My job is to line up Szybki with the dummy and get him
ON the dummy so the vet can get under him with the
artificial vagina sleeve thingy and, well, you know
the rest...I've assisted in lots of breedings but
never handled the stallion before.. I'm glad he's
gentle and small.. LOL...

First try, Szybki hollers and attacks the dummy, but
ends up sideways on it, vet can't get anywhere that he
needs to be, semen is wasted on the floor. while this
is going on, vet assistant and mare are nearby getting
nervous...

We put Szybki in the stall and let him chill out to
try again... Vet assistant and I hang out with Ali for
20 minutes while Szybki gets it together again...

We get the old man back out of the stall and do the
process again..This time, mare goes into pipe stall
near the dummy. Vet assistant just hangs out nearby
with hands on phone ready to dial 911..

This time Vet says, I'll lead him on and hand him off
to you.

I had the "vagina."  Vet had Szybki's lead...Our goal
was to trade at the appropriate time. Szybki get on
the dummy sideways again, we get him down, line him up
and try again.. this time he gets the idea...

Vet flips me the rope, I hand off the sleeve... whew
Szybki figures it out, this is fun, you can see the
gleam in his eye...

Then, Szybki FALLS off the dummy and just lays on the
gravel floor, whew, old man is tired, LOL...

He gets up, shakes himself off, and trumpets loudly.
He is a happy camper! tee hee... I'm in awe at how
powerful these animals are and how quickly things
happen.

We put him back, vet tests the goods...

Szybki has LOTS AND LOTS of swimmers... with decent
motility. Vet says there's so much here, he threw out
half and still had enough to inseminate 12 mares!

He puts extender into the semen and chills it in the
equitainer...

Two days later, vet tech calls me, it's still good! We
have shipping quality semen and lots of it!

Anyway, that was my interesting experience. Anyone
need some retired race Arab semen?? We're pros now..
LOL

chris

=====
"A good horse makes short miles," George Eliot

Chris and Star

BayRab Acres
http://pages.prodigy.net/paus
Common sense should also be a part of the decision making process. If you
see someone who doesn't have any, hand them your tool box.
~ Lisa Salas - The Odd Farm