[RC] Black spots - Marinera

Hi Ridecampers,

I have a 24 year old grey Arabian gelding.  A month ago he started to get
black spots varying in size from a dime to a nickel or a quarter between his
back
legs.  They have now spread to other parts of his body, behind his elbows, on
his chest, on either side of his tail, on his face and randomly a few across
his back.  I would say that there are approximately 120 total spots.  They
start off with hair on them and then become bald.  The spot are darker than his
gray skin. They are not sensitive.  They are very smooth. They do not have a
center as you might expect with an insect bite.

My veterinarian put him on steroids for ten days.  He hoped the pigmentation
change
would stop.  It did not.  Today he took a biopsy and we are now waiting for a
lab report. I have had the same veterinarian for 30 years and he has not seen
a case of pigmentation changes such as this previously.

The horse is in good health otherwise, is ridden 3 to 4 times a week, is
eating and drinking normally.  The only change in diet has been from oat and
alfalfa hay through the winter months to spring pasture with oat and alfalfa
hay
more limited.  His gate to the pasture is always open so he started nibbling at
the pasture when it first started to grow after Oct/Nov rainfalls so there has
been no sudden change.

If anyone on ridecamp has had a similar experience, I would welcome a
response.

Thank you,   Julie Suhr
REAL endurance is sleeping in the tack compartment of your trailer w/the
door open, and your horse snorts/snots on your forehead every 30 min!
~ Heidi Sowards