[RC] Gas prices - sherman

Here is one explanation of the rising gas prices from a consumer watchdog group. It basically boils down to greed, just like with the false energy crisis of a couple of years ago, which has more than doubled my electricity costs, from $125 to $280 a month, and that's after switching to a propane dryer and changing almost all lights to flourescent.  If you're interested, read the article.
Kathy

If rising gasoline prices feel like California's electricity crisis all over again, consider
what FTCR revealed this week. We uncovered internal Shell  documents showing the
refiner is closing down a profitable refinery in Bakersfield to artificially reduce the
supply of gasoline and drive up the price of gasoline.

The documents show Shell is set to demolish the refinery rather than sell it to a
competitor.  The Federal Trade Commission agreed yesterday to review the closure
and FTCR is working on a legal case as well to prevent California motorists from
losing one of only thirteen remaining gasoline refineries (there were 37 in 1983).

Read FTCR's announcement and view the documents at

http://www.consumerwatchdog.org/corporate/pr/pr004157.php3

Read news articles about the reaction to the documents at

http://www.consumerwatchdog.org/utilities/nw/