RE: [RC] [RC] mixing the two - Laurie Durgin

Taking R. to fun shows a couple years ago was good for him when I took him camping and to a couple fun rides. he was used to being tied to the trailer for a long time and even to seeing some commotion around him. I intend to take the other two to fun shows and showgrounds and friends barns jsut to get them out in the world and used to strange horses and commotion.. For R. when he first showed for fun, he got real anxious about horses coming up behind him and passing him. It was kind of an oval leapfrog for him.
Our x- tb was an x race horse, then a trail horse, then we got him and showed him , and he occasionally trailrode. He even did an intro ride at Talladeaga. He was the kind of horse who was very trustworthy and calm. He only spooked at a couch once and R. laughed at him, cause he knew that couch and finally had one up on the ol' man.That and he was afraid of whips, so once he got real 'fast' after some tight branches whipped back on him in a close trail. But I think it helps with well rounded ness.

From: <heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <qhll@xxxxxxxxx>
CC: <DAldr94141@xxxxxxx>, <Ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [RC]   mixing the two
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 08:17:29 -0600 (MDT)

>   But, I've heard comments on how a show horse has a hard time going on
> trail because it's too spooky for the horse, etc. because they are too
> conditioned for the arena atmosphere. I had a mare who was coming along
> well at CTR's. I entered her in a fun show and she tried to race around
> the ring to "catch up" to the other horses. Wasn't fun at all.

I didn't address this part of the original post in my original answer.

You hit the nail on the head with the problem taking the show horse on the
trail--they are "too conditioned to the arena atmosphere."  This is a big
mistake too often made with ring horses, and getting out on the trail is
the way to FIX the problem!  Likewise, your horse that wanted to race
around the arena is telling you that you have neglected a major portion of
her education.  In both cases, the horses need to go back and become
better rounded individuals.  The show horse will do better for gaining
self-confidence, and the trail horse will do better for having learned the
basics of control and rating, and listening to what the rider wants.

All too often, endurance horses are "conditioned" and never "trained."
And show horses visa versa.

Personally, I prefer to bring the training and the trail work along
together--so the horse never develops the bad habit of being a one-trick
pony.  But even if that has already occurred, it can still be remedied by
going back to the basics.

And again, bravo to the 4-H instructor who has cottoned on to this, and
who thinks the 4-H kids will do better for having some trail work.

Heidi

I don't think you have to join a gym or buy frilly outfits to get some
fitness. A decent set of shoes and a 15 minute dismount here and there
will help.
~ Jon K. Linderman, Ph.D., FACSM, Assistant Professor of Health and Sport Science, University of Dayton

The only thing worse than crewing for a female Endurance rider is crewing

~ ridecamp.net information: http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/