Re: [RC] mixing the two - Jon . Linderman

Deb are we talking difficult for the horse or the family?  I just went 50
excrutiating miles with my P.I.T.A 12 year old.  Horses were fine but ugh
Dad almost slit his wrists.  If the kids don't seem overly anxious to do it
don't ruin your own fun.  I miss my kids when I am competing.  Wondering
how the local show is going for my daughter, did my son's horse race well,
how was my wife's dressage score (did the TB kill himself in the
trailer?!), hows my labs, but almost every time I've tried to get my wife
to crew or my daughter to ride w/me I regret it BIG time.  I envy parents
whos kids are begging to ride CTR or endurance, and maybe I get envious of
people who ride w/their spouses (not sure actually), but selfish as it
might be I don't mess up there fun and my efforts to include them in my fun
have been a dismal failure........did I say dismal! I remember a year ago
when several endurance wives wanted advice on how to "trick" their husbands
into going with them, and then how to advance this treachery into tricking
them into eventaully competing..........nice ladies, very nice.

If its the horse I guess its his or her mentality.  Mine is an idiot in a
ring so other than showing halter it'd be a disaster.  Hey arabs are the
most versatile breed so why not.  I asked about driving horse a while back
and some of the MI folk told me of someone who drove their horse to the
events, competed, and then drove the horse home......now thats versatile!

Jon

                     DAldr94141@xxxxxxx

                     Sent by:                     To:
Ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                     ridecamp-owner@xxxxxx        cc:

                     durance.net                  Subject:  [RC]   mixing the
two

                     04/14/2004 09:56 PM

Hi. I'm just interested in knowing if anyone has an opinion. I have a
reason for asking so here goes.
Does anyone think that it's possible to mix horse showing and endurance/CTR
with the same horse? I mean, anything is possible but I think it would be
tough to do.
An adult friend who is heavily involved with his kids in 4-H and not into
CTR or End. wants to introduce the western pleasure 4-H show kids to the
sport. I mean, he would like the kids to do a small novice ride and thinks
(and he's right) that the kids would get to know their horses better, you
know, read their horses better. I know doing one isn't going to do it and
that they would have to do many trail rides and who has time to do that and
show every weekend?
But, I've heard comments on how a show horse has a hard time going on trail
because it's too spooky for the horse, etc. because they are too
conditioned for the arena atmosphere. I had a mare who was coming along
well at CTR's. I entered her in a fun show and she tried to race around the
ring to "catch up" to the other horses. Wasn't fun at all.
I was asked to help with this "project" and thought I'd get some feedback
before committing myself.
Thanks in advance.

Deb

The only thing worse than crewing for a female Endurance rider is crewing

~