Re: [RC] more arguement (or interesting debate)! - Elkenchild

Yes, and in the lengthy Lynx hair trial all biologists were acquited, but that probably didn't make the papers. I had the pleasure of working on five Natural Area Preserves, some with cattle grazing, some without, and all protected from recreation. The healthiest systems were those that were cattle free (the elk stepped up on keeping down the grass). In fact, if our state and federal agencies are overmanaging anything, it's the ungulates and prey species, for our sportsmen. I also worked in Naches where everywinter 4000 elk are packed into about six acre feed lots and fed straight alfalfa (why do their racks get so large?). Though I support hunting I would love to see some elk predators other than man and the occassional cougar. But what really upsets me, and I think we'll agree on this with our differing cattle grazing views, is the development of every viable valley in the area a.k.a filling up with condos, houses, walmarts. I would first and foremost prefer to see wildlife allowed to migrate down from the mountains in the winter as they naturally would, secondly certainly prefer to see sheep and cattle, and lastly like to witness the great "migration" west of those who do not have a vision of how this land has been in the past. As damaging as predator control, cattle grazing, and orchards are on the land, nothing beats a fertilizer-laden yard or golf course!

Laura
"Not all who wander are lost." (jrr tolkien)