Re: [RC] Moose now elk - heidi

One particularly unpleasant happening can be when your dog
stumbles upon a calf.  The cow views the dog as a predator
and the dog decides to head to you for safety, bringing the cow
home to MaMa.

They aren't called "wild animals" for nothing.

A couple of foolish teenage ropers stumbled upon an elk calf one day while
out riding here several years ago and got the fool notion to rope the
thing.  Mama cow elk climbed right up in the saddle with one of them to
express her extreme displeasure.  They had hell getting the baby loose and
getting rid of her!  Doesn't pay to mess with baby anything...

Heidi

PS:  Even the whitetail fawn that I ran through the swather a few years
ago (I think I posted that story to RC--can't rightly remember) had a mama
come charging out of the brush ready to take on tractor, swather and me.
I didn't see her at first--I was busy getting baby out of the machine,
fortunately just stunned a bit but otherwise totally unhurt--but my
husband was in the barnyard above me and said that she was circling around
like a whirling dervish, trying to figure out just how to take on the
monster that ate her baby.  When I came toddling out from under carrying
him, she was on the other side, but came rushing right up when he
bleated--and I think she read my body language and realized I was bringing
him OUT of the snorting monster and back to safety, because she didn't
attack me.  But HER body language was pretty clear--she was pissed, and
wanted her kid!  (Needless to say, I didn't argue about it--just set him
down and retreated, whereupon she swooped in and hastily escorted him off.
A LONG way off!)

By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is
noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience,
which is the bitterest.
~  Confucius