Re: [RC] Moose now elk - Marv Walker

I see them almost daily except in the winter.  More often than not I will come across a few every ride.  We don't bother eachother, and its fun to be able to get quite close to them (being on horseback).  They usually slowly move away, sometimes they will crash thru the trees, but more often they aren't very concerned.

I have a neighbor whose horse was attacked and pretty badly gored by an elk a few years back (when she was boarding her horses in a large pasture).  I guess it was ruting season and he was being territorial, but I was surprised to hear they would do that!  Some dry summer morning my horses will have a small herd of elk standing on the other side of their dry lot watching them eat.  Makes me nervous, but so far no problems.  I do think the elk jump the fence to drink out of the tank in the pasture during dry summers when water is scarce.

Has anyone else had an experience with elk attacking horses?  I hope this is a relatively rare occurance, I rather enjoy them!

Moose, elk, deer are all animals you don't want to be too close to.

Those antlers aren't just costume jewelry, they know how to use
them and their ability to use their hooves is nothing to sneeze at
either.  They can also be very single minded once they initiate an
attack and don't stop until the perceived threat is removed.

One particularly unpleasant happening can be when your dog
stumbles upon a calf.  The cow views the dog as a predator
and the dog decides to head to you for safety, bringing the cow
home to MaMa.

They aren't called "wild animals" for nothing.

Marv "Elk Attack! It's more than just a game!" Walker
2004 Appearances: http://MarvWalker.com/2004.htm