Re: [RC] Moose now elk - heidi

I have a neighbor whose horse was attacked and pretty badly gored by an
elk a few years back (when she was boarding her horses in a large
pasture).  I guess it was ruting season and he was being territorial,
but I was surprised to hear they would do that!  Some dry summer morning
my horses will have a small herd of elk standing on the other side of
their dry lot watching them eat.  Makes me nervous, but so far no
problems.  I do think the elk jump the fence to drink out of the tank in
the pasture during dry summers when water is scarce.

Has anyone else had an experience with elk attacking horses?  I hope
this is a relatively rare occurance, I rather enjoy them!

I have about 140 elk that frequent my upper fenceline in winter, and will
come down into the barnyard at night and eat any hay not covered up.  Yes,
occasionally a raunchy angry old bull will get nasty with a horse, but it
IS fortunately fairly rare.

My sister did lose a real nice young bull calf a few years ago who was
hornwhipped by a bull elk--happened during the rut, and I imagine the calf
got curious and the bull attacked him for getting into his space.  Calf
had several ribs shattered and was rolled down the mountain.

I free-feed my mares in the winter on big bales, and I was pretty
concerned about the elk moving in and running them off their feed--I
underestimated old-timey Arabian broodmares!  They actually put "guard
mares" along the fenceline that go stiff-legging around in front of the
hungry elk like dogs parading in front of strange dogs--and if the elk get
any closer than some imagined perimeter around the hay, the signal goes
out, all the heads go up and the tails go up and it looks like a cavalry
charge.  And the elk go runnin'!

Spike bulls are notoriously idiotic--kinda like Junior High boys who
haven't figured out how to live with hormones yet--and last winter when
the mares ran the elk off, one spike bull ran the wrong way and killed
himself getting hung up in my driveway fence.  He tried to jump the fence
and came down with his cloven hind foot on the top smooth wire, which
flipped him over and broke his skull, and interwove his hind leg into the
top two wires.  I had to drag him out of there and fix the fence--ugh.

I've known of situations here locally where an old bull will move in on
winter feed like that and run the horses off, though--and occasionally a
horse WILL get gored.

Heidi

Locks do not prevent theft, they only deter those in doubt.
~ Robert Morris