RE: [RC] [RC] Ready for a 100?? - Karen

At 02:08 PM 4/14/2004, you wrote:
Is starting a green horse on a multiday, done or doable or adviseable?If they are conditioned at home, and just skipping the LD's and having them really get an education. . . . food for thought.

....well, it all depends upon the horse and the rider. I've got two horses that certainly did not or would not have benefited by doing LD. In fact, I think that doing LD with Rocky was detrimental. That is why when I started Chief I started him on a multiday and have not done any LD rides with him. LD's are a great way for riders to learn what the sport is about, but once you know and have a horse that is reasonably talented and has been conditioned they can be started off in 50's or multidays. It is all about what each person feels comfortable doing and what their experience level is. I have seen many people learn the wrong things from LD, and have even experienced my own horse learning all the wrong things from doing the shorter rides, so starting out a horse (or even a new rider) in LD isn't always going to be the best way and beginning with multidays or longer one day rides can certainly work to their benefit. I now look back and think that all of the reasons why I believed at the time Rocky should do some LD rides (most weren't sanctioned then) are the same reasons now why I believe he should not have. Funny how that works. :+D

Karen
in NV

REAL endurance is taking your non-horsey family to a ridecamp with you!
~ Heidi Sowards