[RC] Wolves, Bears and now Moose! - Peter Harper

Lions, tigers and bears! Oh my!  I thought this was an
endurance news group! ;-)

While everyone else is being off-topic I have two
moose stories to share.

The first was in Yellowstone in the back country near
Shoshone Lake.  We were fly fishing a stream and
noticed a cute little baby moose across the stream.
As we approached the stream Mama was alerted to the
possible danger to her calf and came crashing through
the aspens directly towards us.  She got up to the
edge of the stream and pulled up, Thank God.  Moose
are big up close and personal!  We tried to move down
stream to continue fishing and she would have nothing
to do with us in the same meadow.  After two or three
false charges we gave up and moved to safer fishing
locations.

Howard, in this case I definietly felt like the
"prey"!

The other story was a "Northern Exposure" moment while
visiting my in-laws in Northern Utah.  Northern Utah
has had a very sucessful moose re-population program
along the Wasatch Mountains.  My in-laws live in the
small town of Morgan.  We were headed to town one
morning and saw a young moose in a horse corral just
outside of town happily muching away at the horse's
hay. The snow was heavy that year and It looked like
he'd come down out of the mountains to get a "free"
meal.  The horses had thought better than to argue
with the moose and had abondoned the corral for the
nearby pasture.

My wife and I joked all we needed was the music and it
would be like the into to the Nothern Exposure TV
show.

Moose are manificent animals and its great they are
coming back.  I'm happy to share a meadow or a little
hay with them anyday.

Cheers,

Pete in TX