[RC] Moose and more! - heidi sowards

MOOSE! They are herbivores with an attitude Howard!!!

I grew up in a fishing resort in British Columbia and we
had tons of bears, moose and cougars. (Some deer, bobcat,
fishers, etc.) Since we had a fishing resort, we had major
bears, they would break into the fish house and take the
customers fish. Would get VERY brave, walking right through
camp in the middle of the day. Usually if and when it got
to this point my dad would have to take one out. We had a
dog who regularily treed them, but occasionally you'd get a
rogue boar (male) who wouldn't take the hint, my dad would
fire a few warning shots, but some just liked the easy
meals. Here's a good bear story (I have about 50 - I could
write a book!) remember we're talking good sized black
bears here. My mom is home alone with my sister (dad and I
went 75 miles to the nearest town with a big groc. store)
and the generator is off for most of the day, so very, very
quiet there! We had a collie that was our bear dog. My mom
kept hearing the dog barking and this loud snapping/popping
noise. When my dad and I returned she told us about the dog
going berserk, racing down to the fishouse (about 300 yards
away) and then hearing this strange noise. She was busy so
never checked it out, but figured the way the dog was
acting it was a bear and she's petrified of them. My dad
walked down to the lake/fishouse with the dog, who was
ready to show my dad what was going on, (all you had to do
with this dog was ask him if there were any bears, he knew
the word.) Anyway, long story, but this sow bear had 2 cubs
and was nosing around, the dog would go after her, she'd
charge him and snap her teeth trying to bite him. That was
the noise my mom kept hearing, from over 300 yards away,
the snapping of her teeth. Unfortunately, the sow would not
be discouraged to leave the easy life, was getting brave
enough to charge people and had to be shot. The cubs were
about 2, so ready to be on their own anyway, but my dad
always hated having to do that. Cougar rarely ever came
around, too noisy I'm sure. Cow moose swam her calf across
the lake with him on her back one time. About a mile she
swam him. Saw an eagle take a loon off the lake, pretty
cool! And don't leave anything in your camper that smells
like food in bear country. We had a black bear tear the
vent off the roof of a really nice camper to get 2 t-bone
steaks that were thawing on the counter. We had wolves too,
never saw one and only occasionally saw the remains of a
moose, deer or range cow that they had been feeding on.
Sometimes they'd killed it, sometimes there were other
reasons it was dead. We had an old QH that ran loose (she
was 29 and looked 40) and we never had a problem with
predators with her. My dad found her dead off the side of
the road one summer, no visible cause, he figured she just
layed down and died. My sister and I ran loose from the
time I was 3 until I was 18 every spring/summer and fall
there and my mom always told us, you see a bear, you walk,
don't run back to camp, see a moose and you get home quick!
I'm sure we made so much noise they stayed as far away as
possible. We never saw a wolf!

I am blessed to have had such a lifestyle!

heidi sowards

--- Howard Bramhall <howard9732@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Can anyone tell me if the Moose falls into the predator
or prey category?
Or, are they in a category all of their own?  I always
thought they were
prey, like the deer.

What do they eat?  Aren't they vegetarians?  I never
realized they were
something to fear like the cougar or the bear.  Don't see
many mooses down
here in Florida.

One moose, two meese, three moose, four
Will they kill me if I snore?
If I live will they come back for more?
One moose, two meese, three moose, four

cya,
Howard (always thought Bullwinkle was cool)