Re: [RC] [RC] Forced to go without shoes - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Nicole z_arabs@xxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Re: [RC] Forced to go without shoes - Barbara McCrary

We are having a problem with a gelding that is a
shoe-snatcher....over-reaches and grabs the heel of the front
shoe and yanks it right off.  Our farrier is going to try one
more trick, shoeing tight with no extra shoe sticking out
anywhere.  In the meanwhile, we are using Easyboots and the
horse is going fine.  We tried Boa Boots and he was sensitive.

Barbara,

Have you tried Ground Controls (or any of the other plastic shoes)
for this horse?

I have a chronic overreaching gelding, too (although he doesn't
actually pull his shoes off).  He's currently in NB shoes in front
and squared toes in back.  It helps a lot.  But, the Ground
Controls ares supposed to eliminate shoe pulling for those that
have that problem -- because the shoe flexes.  My farrier can
confirm that the GCs are very hard to pull off, they have to have
one nail at a time pulled rather than yanking the shoe off.  I
love the GCs on another one of my horses & do plan to try them
with the overreacher; the only reason I haven't gone to them yet
is the cost since I'm already buying them for one horse. :)

~Nicole

REAL endurance is taking your non-horsey family to a ridecamp with you!
~ Heidi Sowards