Re: [RC] Cattlle in the dry? west area - heidi

Ahem...clearing my throat.  I've been quiet for a long time...but not
any more:

If cattlemen want to raise cattle on public lands, they should pay the
consequences for grazing on public lands, which includes accepting that
wolves are an integral part of the landscape,

EXCUSE ME???  We DO accept the wildlife that was here naturally--and we
live with it in reasonable harmony.  Actually, it is the cattlemen who
have IMPROVED the habitat sufficiently to support the game herds we enjoy.

But WOLVES WERE NEVER AN INTEGRAL PART OF THE LANDSCAPE!!  They are NOT
natural here--they were foisted on us by the Federal government!  They are
like rabbits in Australia, that reproduced like wildfire because there was
nothing to keep THEM in check, and then took the forages down to nothing
so that other NATIVE species could not survive.

The wolves have been ARTIFICIALLY introduced into a system that normally
supports many ungulates (elk, deer, bighorn sheep, antelope--AND domestic
ones such as cattle) so there is a seemingly limitless food supply.  This
in turn has caused the wolves to reproduce explosively.  The ONLY things
that will keep them in check are 1) to limit the food supply--which means
not only do the domestic ungulates have to go (cattle, horses, sheep) but
also the wild ungulates--the elk, the deer, the bighorn sheep, the
antelope, etc.  Or, 2) we can take responsibility for man's having
introduced wolves into this ecosystem by killing them when their numbers
get out of hand and start to threaten the other species.

We live with coyotes and cougars.  But we are also allowed to keep them in
check if their numbers get out of hand.  If we could do the same with the
wolves, we could probably get along with them, too.  But the agenda behind
the wolf introduction IS to drive the ranchers off the land.  That agenda
has never been particularly disguised.

Fortunately, there ARE strides being made toward deregulating wolves (and
no, they are NOT a truly endangered species--Canada STILL has plenty that
they'd LOVE to send us), and with any luck, before it gets TOO much worse,
we'll be able to defend not only our livestock but also the wild ungulates
before too much longer.  (At least the feds ARE beginning to confess that
they need to take out the worst packs and thin some of the other packs if
there are going to be any elk left...)  If I can shoot a wolf that comes
among my horses as I can a cougar, and not be sent to jail for it, that
will be a BIG improvement.

Heidi

REAL endurance is dressing for 20 degrees in the AM and by noon its 85
degrees!
~ Heidi Sowards