[RC] Cattlle in the dry? west area - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Ray O'Donohue rno2m@xxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

 No one should be exempt from criticism: "If the price we received for our
cattle at market
time kept up anywhere near with the costs of raising them, you wouldn't be
able to afford a hamburger, let alone a steak. " If it isn't profitable,then
how,and why,are you raising cattle there? If western dry land cattle ranching
cannot financially compete on equal footing with regions of abundant
rainfall,the whole wolf debate is affected if public land grazing is
involved.If you are raising catle at a loss "for love of the ranching
life/cowboy culture,etc",that entirely your business,as long as you are not
using public land.Then,it becomes everyone's business.I subscribe to Western
Horseman magazine.Each month there is a feature on some big ranching operation
where the hands all wear complete period cowboy costume...this is a dead
giveaway that there is more than profitable business going on here...sure
enough the place  turns out to be owned for fun by some tycoon etc,and grazing
on an allottment to boot. This is all fine with me,as long as we don't let our
love for this culture  wipe out other things we also value on our public
land,which in my case includes wolves bears rattlesnakes elk horseback riding
bird hunting etc.Moderation is the key.Eh?

will carry you a long way on a horse.
~  Frank Solano