[RC] wonderfull ride - Nancy Reed

Since I started the snake thread I figured I needed to finish it, and maybe we can get back to endurance?

Just got back from a wonderful training ride on Lyric, who is now 6.  What a nice ride!  Perfect weather, nice breeze, not too hot or cold, lovely new sage smells and beautiful views of the ocean.  AND NO SNAKE SIGHTINGS!!!

We rode 4.79 miles with 750 foot of climbing over about 1.4 hours, mostly at a walk.   Hubby set up his Garmin GPS and then downloaded it onto the computer for me.  Lyric was still fairly fresh at the end. She drank about 4 gallons of water out of a hand held bucket and put up with a bubble bath.  Only one big spook near the end as we were along side the main road; a bicyclist came up silently from behind and she jumped forward one big leap.  I stayed seated and informed Lyric a bicycle will be visiting her at home real soon.

 I think I have finally got my tack figured out.  It has taken over a year!  Lyric is a little round, barrel Arab mare.  It took forever to find tack that fit her.  Here is what I use: Sharon Saare F tree, Little Horse S hack, mohair cinch (28 inch) and Tucker breast collar (cob size).  No saddle rubs, no neoprene cinch burns and a happy horse that can eat and drink on the trail. I still need a small sized saddle pad.  Any ideas were I can find one and complete this outfit?

Thank you Ridecamp for all the help and support this past year.  I could have not gotten this far with out you!!  Gratefully,

Nancy Reed and Lyric (the muscle horse)

Lazy J Ranch

Elfin Forest, California

PS Live next to BML and deeded open space.  It is a constant battle to ensure the trails stay open.  But it is better than living next to a subdivision!  And yes, the DEVELOPERS are the real bad guys.  No comparison.  (Sorry, I couldn’t help myself.)