Re: [RC] Anyway, you are treading on unsafe ground when you criticize cattlemen...... - heidi

Yes, I'd pay the EDU to graze my horses @ $ 1.43 a month.

Unfortunately, Steven, that is the same sort of really IGNORANT comparison
that too many people make.  Yes, you'd gladly pay the $1.43 per month
(actually, last I checked, which was some time ago, it was well over twice
that on BLM land in this area)--but would you gladly pay the fencing
costs, the spring maintenance costs, the riparian projects, and all the
other stuff that the ranchers pay ON TOP of that to graze their cattle on
public lands for perhaps 3-4 months of the year?  When you break down
THOSE costs that the rancher ALSO pays (which BTW "subsidize" YOUR use of
the public lands by improving wildlife habitat, etc.) the REAL cost to the
rancher is on the order of $12 or so per AUM.  That is also the going rate
for private pasture land--I am paid $12 for dries and $14 for pairs when
the neighbor leases pasture from me--where *I* pay the fencing costs and
*I* maintain a water source, etc., etc.  Please get your facts straight.

Heidi

I still prefer what it is that BH100, Tevis, The Duck's Soup of Endurance,
etc. has to offer...but, to see a horse canter over sand for those
distances...Good Lord, it humbles me.
~  Frank Solano