Re: [RC] snakes and/or bears - heidi

Wolves have been in northern MN since the ice went away.  They never
were exterminated.  People have ridden, hiked and canoed in the woods
without any attacks by wolves.  Yes, there are some attacks in the
winter on cattle and sheep (mostly young and/or confined) but they do
not seem to bother people or horse riders.

Wolves ARE highly intelligent.  In areas where they have been shot at when
they encounter people, they DO seem to leave people alone.  In Asia, where
they are NOT generally shot at, they tend to carry people off like any
other prey species.  If we can manage to get wolves deregulated (which our
entire state legislature, our entire congretional delegation, our
governor, and virtually every other official in our state is working hard
to get done), and if we can then shoot at them when we encounter them, I
think we might be able to co-exist with them.  That still might not help
our elk herds, but might do quite a bit in terms of not worrying about
livestock attacks or human attacks.  They DO seem to be able to tell their
pups "Don't go there because Farmer Jones has a big thunder stick that
burns when it goes boom!"

Heidi

The air of heaven is that which blows between a horse`s ears.
~  Arabian Proverb