RE: [RC] Re: [RC] [RC] Instructions for newbie crew-people? - sharon1359

Good point, never thought to actually ASK him that.  (DUH.)  I'm sure he'd say
he wants to stay busy... his grumbly point so far has been that he's not
excited to sit around waiting for me, "especially with a bunch of strangers".
For some reason he doesn't believe me when I tell him that there ARE no
strangers in Endurance, only friends that you haven't met yet.  He seems to
think all horse people are absolutely nuts.  (Oh wait, they ARE!!  Oh well, no
reason they can't be friendly nuts.)

I'll be sure and warn him that he should find a tree to climb for the finish.
:)

Thanks for the ideas!
-Sharon K.
www.ZEGifts.com

Quoting Howard Bramhall <howard9732@xxxxxxx>:

I'd find out what he wants to do.  Does he want to stay as busy as possible
or is he the type who would rather just sit back and watch?  Would you be
willing to allow him to do the vet check duties on your horse for you to get
him really involved and, maybe, fall in love with the horses that surround
him while he's waiting in line (hopefully he won't fall in love with one of
the female riders in line with him).

It is difficult to keep a crew person busy if they're just waiting for one
horse and rider.  Unless the ride has away vet checks and he's willing to
drive to them.  That does keep one busy.  Otherwise, he'll be doing a lot of
waiting.  Might want to find some friends (ones whom you trust) to keep him
company during that time.  Another idea is to have him volunteer as a pulse
taker or a scribe for a vet.  You would, of course, have to prep him in
advance so he qualifies for these duties.  That does keep a person busy and
many end up falling in love with the sport and horses even if they didn't
feel that way prior to the experience.

Oh, yea, warn him about that finish line.  It seems to get quite a few new
folks into problems lately at some of our rides.  Explain to him that
sometimes the riders trot their horses for 49 miles and race like they're at
the DErby the last mile.

cya,
Howard