Re: [RC] snakes - Rosalie Marley

Update on my story from last monday about the neigbor's filly that got bitten.

They took her to the vets, for a night or two (not sure why), she was improving
so
they brought her home - just in time for this cold snap.  Yep, 80 degrees
monday and
it's snowing/raining by friday.  Saturday, my husband called the neighbor about
something and asked how the filly was doing, expecting to hear basically good
news.
Not to be - at that time she was "peeing blood" and they had called the vet,
probably
to put her down.  Very sad.

So does rattlesnake venom break down the muscle tissue?  Could the red urine be
caused by muscle breakdown products (like in tying up?)  Or maybe the kidneys
were just exhausted?  I don't want to call and ask and upset them, but I wonder.

And what kind of things should I keep on hand for snakebite?  The vet is an
hour
away, -if- he's not in the middle of something else.  I read somewhere to use a
twitch
if the horse was agitated - that seems like the worst thing to use if they were
bitten on
the face/nose.

Rosalie