Re: [RC] Snakes - Truman Prevatt

I don't know what snakes you have out there, but back in Western KY, TN we had problems with copperheads. They like to live where people are - and that just doesn't hack it. Our rattlers don't tend to do that.

The common kingsnake and 'milk snake" tend to like to hang around where people are. The are very docile and are easy to handle and move. They get big and then tend to find both mice/rats and venomous snakes a good meal. My grandfather and I would always catch one if the saw one and bring it home and release it either around the house and out building or barn. We had no problems with either venomous snakes or mice or rats.  They would hang around on the fence - boy did they get big - and watch us as we worked. It used to drive my grandmother crazy since she hated snakes - any snake, probably Freudian but Freud would have a field day with my grandmother for a lot of reasons :-).

Truman

heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
That isn't why I kill snakes, Tracy.  I kill them because they are a
danger to my livestock.  It is a matter of good horse husbandry to reduce
the snake population in the area where my mares and foals live.  I do the
same thing to the mice and the pack rats that get into the tack room.  It
isn't about revenge--it is about taking care of my own.

I don't go hunting for snakes--they are welcome to frequent any turf that
is not mine.  I don't hate snakes.  But I DO care about my critters, and
will continue to "remove" snakes from their environment in the same manner
that I also try to remove such things as rusty nails in boards, moldy
feed, and anything else that may harm them.  I also have been known to use
insect repellant and other evil means to protect my critters.

--
We imitate our masters only because we are not yet masters ourselves, and only

We imitate our masters only because we are not yet masters ourselves, and only

because in doing so we learn the truth about what cannot be imitated.