From: "Amy Martin" <amymartin@xxxxxxx>
To: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, April 10, 2004 8:43 AM
Subject: [RC] bit question

I have used the same full cheek copper snaffle for 20 years and decided
last
week it was time to retire it.  I called a company that sold myler bits
intending to get a comfort or Bristol snaffle and they advised a forward
tilt ported barrel with D ring sidepieces, has rotating sides but does not
break in the middle like a snaffle.  I told them I have a young Arab who
responds well to my snaffle but often inverts and throws her head up when
apply pressure to slow her down or to try to get her into a more rounder
frame.  They said Arabs often have low palates and dislike tongue
pressure.
Anyway, I have tried the new bit twice and she is responding to it OK as
far
as turning and speed control and maybe a little less head up inversion but
feel I have lost some finesse with turns and with keeping her between my
hands when facing something scary she doesn't want to cross or with
sidepassing/turns on the haunches ect.  Maybe she is just taking time
adjusting to a new bit and I am prejudiced about wanting a snaffle back
because it is all I have ever ridden in.  Anyway, I am thinking out loud,
have about a week to try the bit and I can return it for a different one
if
it doesn't work out.  Any thoughts?  Thanks, Amy and Tequiza

There is no better way to see the world than from the back of a horse.
~  Teddy Roosevelt

Just because someone tells you that your horse isn't "fit" for
endurance...doesn't mean it isn't, it just means your horse isn't fit to be
"their" endurance horse! Go for it, you never know what you'll accomplish
with that "saddle horse" or "trail horse" of YOURS!
~ Darlene Anderson - DPD Endurance