Re: [RC] RE:Racing - Truman Prevatt

An incident happened several years ago where the ride manager put the finish line in camp. Some one was hurt - a protest filed. From my memory the P&G committee ruled that the RM should take all precautions to place the finish line in a location that will not put anyone at risk in the case of a race. I read that to also mean that they should also manage the volunteers in such a way as to minimize the risk.

It went on to say if it is not possible to put the finish line where the risk is mitigated, then it is the responsibility of the rides to ride in a safe manner.

While not there it sounds like the RM may have not sufficiently managed the volunteers in a manner to minimize the risk to all concerned.

Think about how long it takes to do an emergency stop in a car at 20 mph ( or 1/3 mile per minute which is 587 yards or almost six football fields). Then at least double or triple that distance for stopping a horse at 20 mph. First there is the reaction time of the rider and then the reaction time of the horse and then the ability of the horse to absorb the energy of the forward motion and with a 1000 pound horse that's quite a bit of energy and it cannot be stopped on a dime.

Truman

Carol wrote:
I think there are two sides to this dilemma. Number one, in a "professional horserace" such as on the track, one would never see people out on the track at the finish line. But in endurance  we have a lot of volunteers who sometimes may unknowingly put themselves in harms way. It is our responsibility , since we are riding 1000 lb. animals, if we are "racing to the finish" to aware of our surroundings. Those riders knew they were running into a crowded area and chose not to slow down. Maybe initially, it was the ride managers fault for not making it clear to the volunteers that this could happen, but when it actually was occurring the riders should have taken responsibility for their actions and slowed down to avoid injuring someone.
Carol

--
We imitate our masters only because we are not yet masters ourselves, and only

We imitate our masters only because we are not yet masters ourselves, and only

because in doing so we learn the truth about what cannot be imitated.