Re: [RC] [RC] howard and racing - Truman Prevatt

I remember a ride where the finish line was on a dirt road about 50 feet from the turn in to camp. Two riders came in hell bent for leather for first. One horse kept on running down the road to slow up eaisly. The other took a sharp left turn at full bore into came. The rider kept going straight.  The next year the finish was about a hundred meters from the turn in.

rides2far@xxxxxxxx wrote:

A few years ago I helped pick the finish line for the first Longstreet's
Charge held on top of Pigeon Mtn. We chose a wide spot in the trail about
1/4 mi. from camp. It was a field with about 100 yards of open ground so
we put the finish line at the far end.  Unfortunately, where the dirt
road picked back up out of the other end it took a 90 degree turn to the
right. Nina Warren was riding either Desert Ballad or Jedi, forget which
but both were FAST and she told me later that she could have reached down
and scooped up some dirt in her hand when he took that turn. >shudder<
Note to self...either don't give them enough room to crank it up in the
first place, or give them enough to get it cranked back down afterwards!

So that's why the time I did Longstreets I had to walk in five miles from the finish line ;-). Needless to say my horse was down by the time I got there.

Truman

--
We imitate our masters only because we are not yet masters ourselves, and only

We imitate our masters only because we are not yet masters ourselves, and only

because in doing so we learn the truth about what cannot be imitated.