[RC] [RC] mud fever - Deanna German

M.B.

Count your blessings if your horse has never had mud fever or scratches
before. If you plan to do any distance riding in Ohio and surrounding
states, get used to it!

One thing I do when it's still winter is to close clip the pasterns and clip
those annoying feathers off. Doing that allows air to reach the skin so that
the skin dries when my mare is stabled at night. If you haven't already done
this, do it now.

Instead of using idodine shampoo, use Betadine. Scrub a little, but not so
much that you abrade the tender skin. Definitely don't scrub until it's raw.
Rinse thoroughly and dry the area thoroughly.

Then you can use Desitin, bag balm or, my new favorite, T-Zon from Healing
Tree with bag balm on top of it. Vaseline might work, that's what I use
sometimes as a scratches preventative at rides or to soothe her pasterns in
between days of a 2-day CTR.

Turning her out in the mud isn't the best thing, but unless you have a dry
area to turn her out in, it's likely far better than the alternative of
leaving her stalled. If it's real bad, maybe leaving her stalled every other
day might be an option, as long as the stall is clean. 'Twere it me, I'd
clean it, dry it and then put one or more of the above mentioned substances
on it to act as a barrier, and turn her out in the mud. The worst thing to
do right now is have her on anything sandy, especially wet sand.

You might be fighting this until things dry up. :-((

Some other folks have a concoction of powders and wrapping that they do --
maybe Jon Linderman will see this and tell you about that remedy.

Good luck!

Deanna, also in Ohio

M.B. wrote:
Oh the Wonderful? Season of Spring ....Warmer Weather, Sunnier Sky,s? and MUD,
MUD , MUD .????? One of My Horses? has come down with Mud Fever? .?? Her
Pasturn Is Balding? a touch Warm and PINK !?????? I?? scrubbed it with Iodine
Shampoo and rinsed it well? .? Any hints? or? Remedies out there ?

This is a partnership between horse and rider - we don't
have any jockeys out there, just pals and partners. We'd allow a rider with
a broken foot, a sore back and a nasty cold to compete - but we would never
let a horse in a similiar condition hit the trail.
~ Dr. Barney Flemming DVM