[RC] learning from riding accidents - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: carolyn beckstrom gemsong1@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I recently had a similar riding accident as someone else posted - riding with
boa boots with no added traction diagonally on a muddy, snowy hill.  My horse's
legs slipped out from under him, he fell on his side trapping my leg between
him and a log.  my leg snapped around the log breaking my ankle.  when he got
up, my foot was stuck in the stirrup at a very unusual angle.  He stood still
and I was somehow able to reach up and disengage my foot.  I was riding with a
friend who had a cell phone and called 911.  No way I could have gotten out of
the woods if I was alone.  Surgery that night gave me a metal plate in my leg
with 8 screws and no riding for a while.
Lessons I learned were to always carry a cell phone, leave a note where you are
riding if going out alone, and I am investing in safety stirrups.
PS - besides this incident, the boa boots are great.  they stay on, no rubbing
and are easy to use.
Carolyn and Gem (who are missing the first half of ride season!)

taking your non-horsey family to a ridecamp with you!
~ Heidi Sowards