[RC] Dropping Limited Distance? - GoldenCMK

I would hate to see LD dropped from rides because when I first started doing endurance I started with LD. I am pretty sure I would have never tried 50 miles first off. I wanted to know if I & my horse could do 25 miles much less 50. After my first few 25s I thought there was no way I would ever do 50s. Well, we know that story.

LD serves a purpose. For newbies, starting out young horses, training purposes. When I broke my leg, I was off a horse for 6 months and had to 25s to get my leg somewhat back in shape. My poor husband did not even know how to ride when I talked him into conditioning with me for a 25 mile ride, he would have never even considered getting on a horse if I had told him we were doing 50. At the time 25 sounds like a whole lot of miles to him. And of course he too said he never do 50s, but he did and then he said he would never do 100s and he did.

Yes, we moved up and I think most people do when they see that it is not so bad. But then there are those who are completely happy with 25 miles. I believe there is room for everyone in this sport.

Maria