[RC] Learning from Riding Accidents - rides2far

I tried to think of problems I've had. Several involved loose things on me or
my horse snagging objects. Once I was trotting happily down the trail and
suddenly found myself sitting on the ground when my horse had never wavered. I
had no idea *what* had happened. What happened was a root sticking out of a
bank had hooked my English stirrup with it's quick release buckle and both it
and me off my horse. Another time a flopping rein hooked a forest service gate
as we went around it...and my sponge string hooked a tree once (learned to make
the wrist loop larger). I've even seen a girth get caught on a forest service
pole gate as a horse went around it. (picture all this stuff at a trot) So I
highly recommend no loose clothing or tack that can catch on objects.  Also,
carry a knife just in case.

The biggest accident I see waiting to happen is all the people who ride in
western type saddles with tennis shoes and no safety stirrups. THAT makes me
cringe. A child was dragged to death at a rental stable in this area several
years ago and safety stirrups would have prevented it. To me the safety
stirrups are at least as important as the helmet.

Angie

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
REAL endurance is eating egg salad sandwiches for 3 days straight!
~ Heidi Sowards