Re: [RC] volunteers at rides - Joe Long

On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 14:34:44 GMT, rides2far@xxxxxxxx wrote:

A group of 4 riders not racing for first (3,4,5,6, I think)came
racing in out of control right into a semi congested area of
timers and other volunteers

Sounds like management needs to reconsider the placement
of the finish line to me. I've put the finish line as far as a mile
from camp to keep things safe for horses or people. Makes it
lonely for the timer but it's crazy to have it anywhere near all
the little kids running around, etc.

A big AMEN to that!  Some ride managers don't seem to appreciate the
importance of having a finish area that allows riders to race in at
full speed without endangering themselves, their horses, or people on
the ground.  Even well-trained and well-behaved horses can't stop or
turn on a dime when running flat-out.

IMO it is far more important to have a safe finish than to have a
convenient finish (in or close to camp).

--

Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxx

One of the great joys of being a pompous idiot is that you can do and think
whatever you want.
~  Homer Safferwiffle