[RC] LBJ Grasslands Ride - Darolyn Butler-Dial

       Hi Everyone,
       Well the LBJ Grasslands was a beautiful ride.  If you didn't make
it, you should be really sorry.  The trails were well marked and the ride
was extremely well organized.

       It's held near the little Texas town of Decatur, just North of the
Dallas-Ft.Worth metroplex.  Its very "truck" accessible, and "city"
amenities are only about 15 minutes away if you find yourself low on ice or
need a Tex Mex food fix.  However.... U sure didn't need that on Friday nite
as the ride had an absolutely fabulous Texas Style Barbecue... lots of
brisket and sausages & all the trimmin's.  Even a big congratulatory
birthday cake for everyone for desert.

       Part of what made this ride seem so seamless, was the pre-entry
arrangement.  Yes, the ride was limited to a certain number, but there was
ample warning that this was the case.  Yeah, yeah... I whined too, cause I
never know for sure which people and what horses are going until the last
minute down here at Cypress Trails... but we did manage to get all the
entries in in time to snag a spot, and were we glad we did.

       Jaime Hoffman was the official ride manager, but Sue Phillips and
Vonita Bowers were the "whip bearers"  ... I even awarded dear Sue with her
own 3 foot long camel whip in honor of her "insistence" that we all abide by
this new deal of "early entries".  All the riders, and myself included just
were amazed at how easy it was... walk up, get your packet, walk away & on
to the vet check... no lines, no muss, no fuss.  There were two or three of
the riding vets, like Jim Baldwin, and Gail Conway that pitched in on Friday
afternoon check ins, but then there were also 4 very experienced vets that
smoothly handled the vetting during the day of the ride.

       Management was sweating enough  volunteer help, but the volunteers
seemed to come thru, as spouses and parents of riders filled in the gaps.
Others gave up their ride to help and some who had bad luck in not getting
to start (Laura Petri) volunteered for the vet scribe job and told me it was
one of the most educational and rewarding experiences of her endurance life.

       Vonita (and Company) did an excellent job of "prepping" up the
already permanently marked trails... so not nary a soul found themselves
lost on Saturday.  Glow bars were professional well placed, and as a 100
miler, I never had that queasy feeling u get when u think u've missed trail
somewhere in the dark.

       Awards were probably the best we've seen at a ride in a while down
here in the south... The normal T-Shirts were present, but Sundowner
Trailers & Purina, made a significant contribution, in addition to some
private donations to make it fly.

       The trails were dry, but there was ample water in ponds and horse
tanks generously dotted on these trails.  I suppose the only good news/bad
news was..... Good news, I saw three big wild turkeys.... Bad news... turkey
hunters were everywhere & probably bagged those three turkeys before the day
was over... Oh well... other than spooking a horse (causing little Vicki
Hudson to crash) no big harm was done... I'm sure we bothered them a lot
more than they bothered us... scaring all their turkeys off trail and stuff.

       So riders... if you're looking for a nice spring ride... put the LBJ
Grasslands on your calendar for next spring... the drive with all the
Bluebonnets, Indian Paint brushes, and those yellow flowers is nice too...
no matter what direction you're coming from.  Right Jan Worthington... psst,
she won the 100 miler.

Dare  (to Be Bare)  Barefooted That Is!
Darolyn Butler-Dial & Mark Dial
     CYPRESS TRAILS EQUESTRIAN CENTER & HORSEMAN VIDEO SHOWCASE
AIRPORT RANGER INFO:  http://pegasus.alert.cc/   (NO WWW NECESSARY)
            Proven Endurance Horses for Sale or Lease.
Adventure Trail Rides * Boarding * Training*Lessons *Parties
Represents:   Sharon Saare Saddles, Professional Choice, Advanced Biological
Concepts,  & KM (Human Electrolytes)
ADVOCATE :THE WHOLE HORSE TRIM (Barefootin")
21415 Cypresswood Dr.  Humble, Texas 77338
       Ph:  281 446 7232    Fax 281 446 0113  Toll Free (800) 228 8768
e mail:   darolynj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:darolynj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx >
   Web Page Cypress Trails:     http://www.horseridingfun.com/