[RC] Lessons to be Learned by Riding Accidents - Sharon Hinshaw

Hello all...I've only joined ridecamp recently but have really enjoyed all the subjects and all the experience represented here. This is one subject I feel I have some experience with :)    1st...I learned very quickly to never try something new right before a race. Not only did I try something new it was my first 50. I thought the sponges on a string thingy was a great idea and thought I had attached it firmly to my saddle. At the first water stop I proceded to get off to tighten my girth and unbeknownst to me a loop of string was hanging down and I caught my foot in it as I was dismounting. Well I was in a pickle. Half on and half off...it was a sight to behold! For some unknown reason Renegade, my horse, stood prefectly still while I had visions of another team racing past ...OMG! (Renegade is named Renegade for a reason). Luckily a team came walking up, took in the situation and very quickly helped me get untangled. I ended up with a torn groin muscle and had to pull from the race, but not before finishing that first loop at least! Lesson: NEVER try something new right before a race and always check and recheck your equipment.

     2nd: Someone else mentioned to stay focused. That is excellant advice. Renegade is never very happy about mud puddles, he will go through them but typically goes around or jumps it. Well most of the race he had been going around and suddenly changes and jumps a large one. That in itself was not the problem. It did however distract me to the buisness at hand, a split in the trail...well marked but at a controlled hand gallop he zigged and I zagged and off I went. Somehow, and I'll never know how, I landed on my feet. Climbed back on and continued on our way. Lesson: Stay focused!! and don't let go of your horse.

     Renegade and I are new to this sport but love it!! We've only been in five 50's with four completions. One other lesson: stay away from the front of the pack at the start. Crazy...  Sharon