[RC] Learning from Riding Accidents - rides2far

Well, doing LD is no way to protect yourself from
accidents!

That's right! This weekend was the first LD I'd started in over 10 years
and there were several people I saw who were in danger of having
accidents...that is if I could have killed them and made it *look* like
an accident! >eg< There were the "leapfroggers"...you know, the ones who
gallop past you on a narrow trail, then you pass them right around the
corner in the open field walking...only to have them come blowing by you
again on a narrow trail, acting as if they've really got somewhere to
go...100 yards up the trail they're walking again! >visions of pouncing
from my horse and choking them while screaming "did you not think we'd
pass you again *this* time??????"  Then there were the ones who made time
by trotting past the water just as your horse started to drink...of
course then you pass them right back up because you are obviously
traveling faster than them since you stopped at most water stops and
they've passed them all to "make time". >clenching of fists, gnashing of
teeth<

Of course there are plenty of LD'ers who are experienced and would never
do these things, but when your distance tends to be the "introduction"
ride you have to deal with more people have yet to benefit from the
learning experience of having a middle aged woman leap from her horse and
wrap her hands around their throat while explaining proper etiquette. :-P

Angie

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
Why should I look good if I don`t smell good?
~  author unknown