Re: [RC] RE:Learning from Riding Accidents - Kristen A Fisher -A. Perez - Tiffany D'Virgilio

on 4/5/04 3:24 PM, Kristen A Fisher at kskf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I agree to the [obvious] statements below.

But there are probably some people that have had accidents that would do
some things differently given a chance. Their input might be valuable to
help others attempt to avoid the same outcomes.

As my subject line said LEARNING from riding accidents - not eliminating all
risk.

My last accident led me to becoming the helicopter girl (and a 15K bill from
the airlift-thank you Aetna!), so I will share my humiliation with you all
and will also say that I DID learn from it.
I've fallen twice during rides and while there were lots of reasons I think
many wrecks can be attributed to one thing. I have been riding since I was
2, so that is 33 years. I vividly remember my grandmother beating one lesson
into my skull over and over. Do NOT sit on the horse and be a passenger-RIDE
the horse at all times.
My first wreck happened when Mosh went one way over a large rain crevice and
I went the other. It was at the relative start of a ride-maybe three miles
in. I was riding with a buddy and both horses were fractious. I can almost
bet my mind was not completely on asking that mare with hand, leg and seat
to go left and she went right. The second time was a mile from the vet check
at Cinquenta Anos-the 40 mile mark-and I was coming down a steep shale trail
when Mosh spotted another horse ahead and got strong for a minute. I was
asking her to stop and try to get her weight off her forehand, so I bet I
was braced a bit. Another crevice and a prop stop and over I went. And have
forty stitches to show for it. I bet again, I was thinking of other things,
I see the VC, here is another horse, we are in the top 10 (ah, the ego steps
in to get the better of you:(), I know I took my mind off the task at hand
for a minute and paid for it.
What is the lesson? Generally, even good riders that have ridden for years
and new riders too get distracted once in a while. It may be stress, a
confusing turn, another horse on your tail, whatever. If you take your eye
off the ball, sometimes you strike out. My last two rides I have tried to
really ride and focus and have had no drama. I know this was a long post,
but I really think it is these momentary losses of focus that lead to
accidents and breakdowns in any sport. If you get mad at a ref and take your
eyes off the play you usually get burned. With horses you get hurt. My
grandma was right-as always:)))

Tiffany-boy is it humiliating to admit your screw ups in public, but rides
can be distracting with lots going on and maybe this will help people to be
more focused.

Common sense should also be a part of the decision making process. If you
see someone who doesn't have any, hand them your tool box.
~ Lisa Salas - The Odd Farm