From: "Ridecamp Guest" <guest-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, April 05, 2004 6:53 AM
Subject: [RC] volunteers at rides

Please Reply to: Cate Peloquin cpenguin57@xxxxxxx or
ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear Riders, please be careful when racing in.  Our team of volunteer
timers was standing in the same location where they had been standing all
day trying to assist you in and out of the holds as quickly as possible.  A
group of 4 riders not racing for first (3,4,5,6, I think)came racing in out
of control right into a semi congested area of timers and other volunteers.
One of the riders flattened me.  I was not hurt only the wind knocked out of
me.  You all knew we were there, I saw the look in your eyes when you knew
your horse was out of control and you couldn't avoid me.  With 4 horse
racing in such tight quarters there was simply no place for me to go and I
trusted you to have enough to control to steer your horse.  I will not make
the same mistake again.  You apoligized for knocking me down but never
returned to make sure I was doing ok after the incident.  I guess standing
for BC and your friends was pretty important.  I would have felt
differently.  I am not a new volunteer and I recognize the risk of being
around horses.  I'm just glad it was me that got hit not the older woman who
was with me.

I know they don't call them races for nothing but I think having your
horse in control at all times is in the rule book somewhere. Maybe, I was
just in the wrong place at the wrong time, but you all knew what you where
racing into as well.

Other than that, cudos to the management of this ride.  Things went well.
I'll be back to volunteer in the fall for the 50/100.  Cate Peloquin

Just because someone tells you that your horse isn't "fit" for
endurance...doesn't mean it isn't, it just means your horse isn't fit to
be
"their" endurance horse! Go for it, you never know what you'll accomplish
with that "saddle horse" or "trail horse" of YOURS!
~ Darlene Anderson - DPD Endurance

The two best drugs to have in your kit are Tincture of Time and a Dose of
Common Sense. These two will carry you through 99.999% of the problems
associated with horses and endurance competition.
~ Robert Morris