[RC] volunteers at rides - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Cate Peloquin cpenguin57@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear Riders, please be careful when racing in.  Our team of volunteer timers
was standing in the same location where they had been standing all day trying
to assist you in and out of the holds as quickly as possible.  A group of 4
riders not racing for first (3,4,5,6, I think)came racing in out of control
right into a semi congested area of timers and other volunteers.  One of the
riders flattened me.  I was not hurt only the wind knocked out of me.  You all
knew we were there, I saw the look in your eyes when you knew your horse was
out of control and you couldn't avoid me.  With 4 horse racing in such tight
quarters there was simply no place for me to go and I trusted you to have
enough to control to steer your horse.  I will not make the same mistake again.
You apoligized for knocking me down but never returned to make sure I was
doing ok after the incident.  I guess standing for BC and your friends was
pretty important.  I would have felt differently.  I am not a new volunteer and
I recognize the risk of being around horses.  I'm just glad it was me that got
hit not the older woman who was with me.

I know they don't call them races for nothing but I think having your horse in
control at all times is in the rule book somewhere. Maybe, I was just in the
wrong place at the wrong time, but you all knew what you where racing into as
well.

Other than that, cudos to the management of this ride.  Things went well.  I'll
be back to volunteer in the fall for the 50/100.  Cate Peloquin

tells you that your horse isn't "fit" for
endurance...doesn't mean it isn't, it just means your horse isn't fit to be
"their" endurance horse! Go for it, you never know what you'll accomplish
with that "saddle horse" or "trail horse" of YOURS!
~ Darlene Anderson - DPD Endurance