[RC] tying up - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Rachelle sdarosa@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi,
I think my horse may be tying up.  I am not sure what to look for, however.  He
will only eat grass after I work him or ride him for any distance.  He wants
nothing to do with grain or beet pulp or hay for that matter.
I have been getting him ready for his first ride and it was to be an easy CTR
novice division in Kansas with moderate terrain.  When I increased his exercise
he stopped eating as much leaving food in the bucket at his regular feedings
and refuses food after he his worked.  The last ride I took him on I rode
(walked) about 3 hours.  The terrain was a little hard with 2 difficult hills.
After the ride he would not eat and when he went into the pasture he stood
still for over an hour.  He attempted to eat a few times and only took a few
bites.
He is a nervous horse and I can only figure the stress is causing him to tie up
or he has ulcers.  In either case I have decided not to take him to the ride.
I do, hoever, want to help him and find out what the problem is.
What exactly is tying up and what are the signs?
Thank you in advance,
Rachelle

tells you that your horse isn't "fit" for
endurance...doesn't mean it isn't, it just means your horse isn't fit to be
"their" endurance horse! Go for it, you never know what you'll accomplish
with that "saddle horse" or "trail horse" of YOURS!
~ Darlene Anderson - DPD Endurance