Re: [RC] tying up - heidi

Please Reply to: Rachelle sdarosa@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
========================================Hi,
I think my horse may be tying up.  I am not sure what to look for,
however.  He will only eat grass after I work him or ride him for any
distance.  He wants nothing to do with grain or beet pulp or hay for
that matter.  I have been getting him ready for his first ride and it
was to be an easy CTR novice division in Kansas with moderate terrain.
When I increased his exercise he stopped eating as much leaving food in
the bucket at his regular feedings and refuses food after he his worked.
 The last ride I took him on I rode (walked) about 3 hours.  The terrain
was a little hard with 2 difficult hills. After the ride he would not
eat and when he went into the pasture he stood still for over an hour.
He attempted to eat a few times and only took a few bites.    He is a
nervous horse and I can only figure the stress is causing him to tie up
or he has ulcers.  In either case I have decided not to take him to the
ride.  I do, hoever, want to help him and find out what the problem is.
What exactly is tying up and what are the signs?

Good for you for postponing his debut in competition until you find out
what is bugging him.

I'd be more inclined to suspect ulcers in a horse like this, but tying up
is not out of the question.  Tied up horses can present in a whole array
of ways--and in mild cases, just being generally uncomfortable (as he
seems to be) CAN be a sign.

You can pretty well figure out the tying up part by doing bloodwork.
There is one enzyme (CPK--although it has a new name now) that goes up
REALLY fast in tie-up cases, but then also drops off quickly unless the
inflamation of the muscles persists.  Certain liver enzymes go up more
slowly and come back down more slowly.  Your veterinarian should be able
to have a blood panel run and determine this.

To check ror ulcers, you need to find a veterinarian who has an endoscope.
Not all vets do, but your vet may be able to refer you to an equine
center or doctor who does.

Good luck in getting this figured out and solved!  :-)

Heidi

The air of heaven is that which blows between a horse`s ears.
~  Arabian Proverb