Re: [RC] LD changes.. - Truman Prevatt

FL is CTR country. We have probably 8 to 10 a year down here including the FL 3 Day 100 which turned about 55 this year - yep that's right older than the Tevis. Many FL riders did CTR prior to doing endurance and most of us do both. CTR's are a good place to start but so are LD's and I really think people can learn something from both. I can tell you that you will find some of the best endurance riders in the country doing CTR's in FL in the winter.

We had a guy in the SE who loves doing 25's and he was good at it. He loves his horse and his horse was in great shape and was 13 when he did 600 miles in one year in LD's and was the winner of the first National LD award. One day after putting in another amazing performance I asked him why he didn't do a 50.

Seems he was shot in Vietnam while in the Marines and could not ride 50 miles. About 2 to 2.5 hours was all he could take in the saddle before his leg started to go numb. But he loves riding and he takes better care of his horse than 95% of the 50 mile riders out there.

LD allows this person the ability to have fun with his horse and his family - isn't that what it is all about?

Truman

Ed & Wendy Hauser wrote:
I learned distance riding in UMECRA country.  Actually LD is new there and CTR has been at rides since before AERC.  The system works fine.  Contrary to some opinion, there are LD racers who have horses that last many years, don't have metabolic crashes, and enjoy fast LDs. There is room in distance riding for Endurance, LD (fast or slow), and CTR (especially with horsemanship judging optional or nonexistent).  The more events a ride manager can schedule on a weekend, the easier it is to have a positive cash flow, and thus be able to offer the ride the next year.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875

ranch@xxxxxxxxxxx
406.642.6490

--
We imitate our masters only because we are not yet masters ourselves, and only

We imitate our masters only because we are not yet masters ourselves, and only

because in doing so we learn the truth about what cannot be imitated.